Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What's in a Name?

My name is Crist Scott Blackwell Jr., a name made up of many parts, that have been passed down throughout my family for generations.

Crist was my father's paternal grandmother's maiden name. The name Crist was originally spelled Christ. This was not an unusual way of honoring an admired figure in the 1700s. The name was originally the last name of my first ancestor on my father's side to enter the United States from Bohemia, named Rudolf Christ. When his son was born, the "H" was taken out of the name.

Scott, my middle name, is also a family name on my father's side. Scott is my father's middle name. This name was also the name of one of my father's ancestors named after the famous general Winfield Scott.

My name has been passed down throughout my family for generations, and he has great meaning to me and my life. My name will also help me always remember the rich heritage of the Blackwell side of my family.

No comments: