Monday, January 18, 2010

Someone I Admire, Taking a Stand.

There is always someone, someone who nobody likes, everybody talks bad about, and doesn't have many friends. The person I admire for taking a stand is one of my friends who said one day, I'm not going to go with the crowd, I'm going to reach out to this person and be the kind of friend I would want to have in this situation.

I am not going to share the real name of my friend, or the person they were helping, because that is not the point of this story. But for the sake of not overusing pronouns, let's call my friend Jim, and the outcast Bob. The point is that we all follow too closely in the crowd, afraid to stand up and be different. Too many times do we sit back and watch someone fall, and not do a thing, thankful we are not in their shoes.

Bob was new to the school at the time, was always upset about something, and everyone thought he was annoying, and just went on with their lives not doing a thing. But one day, Bob was almost at his breaking point, and Jim approached him and offered up his story about life, and how he understood where Bob was coming from. Jim told Bob that he was not alone, and that he would be there for him if Bob ever needed someone. Jim also told Bob that even when people are not there for you, God will always be. Jim did what I wanted to do, but had been afraid to do at the time.

I will always admire Jim for what he did, and he truly took the stand that all of us are afraid to take. Reaching out, without fear of ridicule, to help a someone in need.


"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none." ~William Shakespeare

4 comments:

-Cam(: said...

Being peculiar and not following the crowd is always good. I know that if I was a loner and everyone looked at me like I was different I'd feel awkward. I don't blame some people for feeling insecure. They just need comfort and the feeling of acceptance that's all. If people would just go out of their way to say "hey" or "how are you?" they could prevent some serious decesions that others could have made. Decisions such as suicide.

Crist Blackwell said...

That is so true Camille!

-Cam(: said...

haha yeahh(:

brittany12 said...

Helping someone out, when they are at their breaking point probably helped the person alot.